As Australia is one of the driest continents on earth, we know all too well how precious and vital our water resources are. Luckily, for us we can all make a difference.
- Install a dual flush toilet.
- Switch to a WELS 3* or more rated efficient showerhead.
- Upgrade to WELS rated taps or fit flow controlled tap aerators to reduce water wastage.
- Reduce your sprinkler times by 2 minutes at each station.
- Install a greywater reuse system.
- Plumb in a rainwater tank.
- Conduct regular plumbing maintenance and check your home for water leaks.
Did you know…
- A burst pipe can waste up to 60 litres of water per minute or 86,000 litres of water in just one day.
- A running toilet wastes around 9,000 litres of water a year.
- Each dripping tap in your home can waste more than 10,000 litres of water in a year.
- If you install a WELS 3* showerhead, you can reduce your shower water by 25%.
- Replacing a single flush toilet with a dual flush system could save 90 litres of water a day.
- By upgrading to a water efficient washing machine, you could potentially save up to 50 litres of water in every load!
Greywater Re-use Systems
In the majority of Western Australian homes, fresh drinking water is used every day not only for drinking, but also for showers, washing clothes and watering our gardens. This fresh water is used just once and then goes straight down the drain and into the sewer. We can recycle this quality water by installing a greywater reuse system. Greywater reuse systems collect the waste water from your shower, bath and washing machine. The waste water is then run through an environmentally friendly filtration system and stored for reuse. You can do your part to help save drinking water by watering your garden with greywater.
By harvesting rainwater, West Australians can help conserve our precious fresh drinking water supplies. Rain water harvesting systems collect and store rainwater in tanks located on your property. Rainwater tanks now come in a range of colours and sizes to suit all situations and are an effective way to collect and reuse rainwater. Did you know that you can plumb your rain water harvesting system to your toilet and laundry? This will save on your water usage bills by using rainwater for flushing the toilet and washing your clothes. Rainwater can also be used for watering your garden if you don’t have a bore or greywater re-use system.
Did you know that our plumber is a registered Waterwise Plumber? Waterwise plumbers don’t only fix problems in your home, they can also give you advice on how to make your home more water efficient. Our plumber can recommend and install the most water efficient and cost effective appliances including taps, showerheads, toilets, water heaters, washing machines, dishwashers and fridges. If you need a Waterwise Specialist plumber in Rockingham, give call Bell Plumbing & Gas today on 0410 662 469.